Saturday, August 14, 2010

Billy Goat Ears

In Alabama [the South], we have so many southernisms and we say them without even thinking. With two students from Sudan living in the house - they are so confused by these silly sayings. Several weeks ago, I had left them in the car while I ran into the store. When I returned to the car, I said "She talked the ears off a billy goat"! Bullen laughed and laughed at the saying. So several days later I went to pick them up from school and Bullen got into the car and stated, "that teacher has billy goat ears". I love it!

"He could talk the ears off a billy goat"

"Tighter than Dick's hatband"

"Fish or cut bait"

"Poop or get off the pot"

"Pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of"

"Beggars can't be choosy"

"He's about as useful as a tit on a boar hog"

"Took off like a scalded dog"

"Wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up faster"

"I've known him since he was knee-high to a coke bottle"

"Nervous as a whore in church"

"Colder than a welddiggers ---"

"Could break a steel ball with a rubber hammer"

"Queer as a three dollar bill"

Dumb as a box of rocks

"She is ugly as Homeade Sin"

"He's not the sharpest tool in the shed"

"Mad as a hornet"

"As cool as a cucumber"

"If you can't take the heat - get out of the kitchen"

No comments: