Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Longway to Meridian

I left Birmingham around 5:30 am, making my way to Meridian MS to pick up BBolden. We drove back to Birmingham to apply for section 8 housing at the renovated Mark's Village. With us we had a 3 month old and a 3 year old, one facing forward and one facing backward. As we head down the highway, I find out all kinds of information about her family, children, significant other, friends, personality, temper, coping skills, etc. Time flew by as we had so much to talk about and of course, I was asking all kinds of questions. BBolden was raised very different from me and I am trying to understand what life must be like for someone who has very limited reading and writing skills. I am trying to understand why someone who has no job or way to provide for herself has seven children. I am trying show the love of Christ to someone who has no hope and is very defensive towards life and others. I think we talked about 3 or more law suits during our driving time. Do I think she wants something for nothing? I really don't know. I know that she loves her children and is raising them just as she was raised. I know that she favors a couple of her children over the others. I know that she is very clean and keeps the clean apartment. I know she was made by GOD for His purpose and we are called to love others regardless of their situation or personal habits.

We arrived around lunchtime to Mark's Village, filled out 15+ pages of information and then she had an interview with the housing authority. Afterwards, we were able to see one of the apartments. It was very small and this giant (i mean very very big) heater was in the middle of the floor in the family room and the other rooms were tiny. I could tell by the look on her face, that she didn't like it. I didn't like it either! I knew she wasn't sure how she was going to tell me this, especially since I have now driven over 5 hours, with 5 more to go. Mark's Village was in much worse condition than where she is currently (Eastern Gardens - Meridian MS).

We headed back to Meridian around 1:45 pm and storms were brewing. Both children decided they didn't want to be in their car seats any longer (i don't blame, them neither). The baby fell asleep quickly, the 3 yr old, not so much. He began by asking nicely to be unlocked, that turned to yelling, then crying, then screaming and crying at the same time, then vomiting. For 1 1/2 hours, he did not STOP! Throughout the day, when BBolden wanted to get the 3yr olds attention or make him stop doing something, she would tell him a bug was going to get him. She finally admitted to me that he didn't like bugs and this was only way to get him to obey her.

We arrive in Meridian around 4pm and the car was met with 4 happy boys with lots of energy. I found out that it was JJ's birthday. I took him to the dollar tree and let him pick out three items. He chose a neon necklace, a brush, and a jump rope. I took him to Taco Bell for a Mango Freeze. While he and I were sitting at the table - He responded " This is the rightest place ever to come" This precious child was all smiles.

Thank you Lord for allowing me to love on Ms. B and her children. They are precious in Your sight.

No comments: