Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Alabama Driver!

Waiting....Waiting.... Waiting
On July 11th during our second visit with each other, Stephen told me that he was ready to take his road test for his drivers license. Stephen explained that a sweet former foster parent had offered to take him and therefore he was waiting on a convenient time for her. We left this conversation with Stephen knowing that he had a backup plan if needed. On July 18th, Stephen came to help with 360 Construction Day 1. Our conversation during the day led to his request for a car and driver for his road test as soon as my schedule would allow.
I picked up Stephen at 6:30 am - but not before I had already called him at 6am - after being awakened in the middle of the night thinking - what documents does he have to have? - thanks God and Google for reminding me. He was ready and waiting with his Gatorade and potato chip breakfast in hand when I arrived. Stephen preferred to go to Bankhead Highway instead of Greensprings. We arrived at DMV at 6:50am -we prayed together - 8 people already in line - 7 sharp the officer opens the door giving instructions - Steve's turn at the sign-in desk - insurance and registration please - Steve hands officer the envelope - uh mam [I am sitting in waiting area chair] - yes - do you have another insurance card - your insurance is expired - Stephen looks at me - I jump up "let me go and look again in the glove compartment" - I run to the car - find another insurance card - hustle back in - Steve is now at the back of the line - great - Steve's turn at the desk again - Officer request his company license - Steve looked in his envelope and handed the officer an invoice for an oil change - Officer "Your company drivers license" - Steve fumbled through the envelope with this blank look - Officer "Who brought you here" - Oh that's me as I jump up out of the chair - Officer "Your drivers license" - Digging in my big-bird pocketbook, I find it - Sorry "I didn't know he needed my license" - Officer gave Steve a number and sent him to the testing room - he waited about 15 minutes and I hear them call his number - Steve leaves the testing room out the back door - I immediately exit the front door - I want to watch! - the black super nanny car is still parked in the same spot - I strain to see if Steve is in the car - I walk to the car thinking Steve is in there and I can't see him cause he has blended in with the black - I cup my hands to peek into the car - no one in there - I stroll casually back to the entrance - here comes Steve waiving the keys at me - Steve needs the car pulled up to the testing line - I get the car and turn through the wrong cones - PERFECT - I get out and ask Steve if he needs to go over anything - Nope - waiting - waiting - Steve looks at me "I am nervous" - "me too" - I'll pray for you the whole time you're driving - Steve "I'm gonna need it" - Steve "How fast should I go" - "I have no idea - slower is better" - "remember to count to 3 at a stop sign" -Stephen is shifting his weight from one foot to the other in the same spot - "Can I take your picture?" - NO! - Pleaseeee - I grab the camera out of the back seat - dead battery - "OK you got your wish" - Steve "Here comes the officer and I think that last girl passed" - I snap a shot with my phone - Officer gives him instructions - brake, honk, blinkers headlights... - Officer goes to the front of the car and is pointing for him to turn on each blinker - Steve has no idea what she is saying - I see him begin to try to roll down the window and ask her, but he can't find the roller downer [Super nanny car has funny looking switches in the middle of the car to roll down the windows] - Steve opens the door to ask the officers "What?" - blinkers! - Officer gets in the car - Steve starts the car - car cuts off - Steve starts the car - car cuts off - Steve starts the car - car cuts off - My mind is thinking WHAT in the world! - "I sure hope super nanny is not having trouble starting - Steve starts the car - car moves 1 foot - nose dive - car moves 1 foot - nose dive - I can not believe what I am seeing - Steve pulls out of the parking lot - 8 minutes later here comes super nanny back - OH "I don't think that was long enough to pass the test - I hope the car didn't stop" - I am looking to see any expressions in the car - NONE - Officer BLANK - Steve BLANK - I move toward the car as the officer is approaching me and I smile - BLANK - I look to Steve BLANK - "Did you pass" - Steve hands me the keys - Did you PASS? - I then see he is trying so hard NOT to smile with those pearly whites. Excited is an understatement - He is ecstatic! As we travel home I can not wait to ask about his driving test experience. "Why did the car keep cutting off? She was asking me to show her the emergency brake and I cut the car off each time - I told her sorry "My BAD". When the car took a nose dive I was pulling up the emergency brake! Oh OK. Steve told me that he didn't know how to put the car in drive - He forgot to push the brake petal for the car to go into gear! Thank you God for Your guidance, grace and mercy!

No comments: