Thursday, May 14, 2009

James Car Wash

James is a homeless man who lives in downtown Birmingham. He is the kindest street person I have ever met with a great personality. James' favorite question is, "how is your pocketbook today". James has been homeless for years and years. He says he has a college education from up north and he ended up in Birmingham with the circus. What? Yes, he worked as an animal trainer/cleaner for Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey Circus. James cleans cars during the warmer months for money. He carries his buckets, soap, tire shine, and rags with him all day, hoping that someone will let him wash their car.

Today, James stopped me and wanted to know if I could get him some tire shine and car wash stuff. Sure, I left downtown and traveled south looking for a Dollar Tree or Dollar General for some cleaning supplies. I exited the 21st street exit, came to a complete stop, nothing coming, turned right on red and the car behind me did the same thing. All of a sudden a policeman is speeding up beside me on a two way street. I slowed but didn't pull over. Of course, your mind is running through a list of things like; tag expired, speeding, light out, red light, etc.

Yes, I got a ticket for turning right on red at an intersection where this was prohibited. I waited months before it was entered into the Birmingham system (i was hoping maybe he torn up the ticket). Six weeks later there is not record of my ticket. I went to court - no ticket recorded. Courts told me to come back in another month. This is crazy. Yep, my ticket was 153.00 and because I didn't pay it within 10 days from the day it was posted, I was fined a penalty of 26.00. I had cash money to pay 153.o0, but not 189.00. I left courthouse and went back the next day after getting additional cash from the bank. Another penalty had been added in the amount of 10.00. 199.00 for turning right on red...... and James did NOT get his car wash supplies. I am pretty upset that I let this upset me enough that I didn't follow through with helping this homeless man.

No comments: